Oakfield Park is the perfect place for families to enjoy a magical day out in Donegal. Our parklands have something for everyone – and with over 100 acres of land to ramble and explore, visitors come back to Oakfield Park for all sorts of reasons. So, whether you’re on a Wild Atlantic Way adventure, or looking for somewhere uniquely special to host a family celebration, here are just some of the ways visitors will enjoy Oakfield Park this summer:
1. Bus Tours: A trip to Donegal wouldn’t be complete without experiencing the magic of Oakfield Park. If you’re bringing tours to Donegal, don’t miss the opportunity to spend a few hours in this secret jewel in the heart of the northwest – groups love relaxing, wandering through our gardens and meeting the local wildlife. Packages start from just €12p.p and you can book by calling us on +353 (0) 74 9173068.
2. Train Spotters: Unfortunately, trains are no longer a common feature in Donegal, but you’ll always spot one at Oakfield Park. Children and train enthusiasts love the ‘Earl of Oakfield’ blue diesel engine, while the ‘Duchess of Difflin’ steam engine still has its carriages in the traditional red and cream livery of the “Wee Donegal”. The steam train runs on the last Sunday of the month. Our Annual Passes are an excellent way to experience the park and Gold Pass holders enjoy unlimited train rides throughout the season.
3. School Trips: We welcome schools of all sizes and our surroundings are the ideal place for students and teachers to explore and learn. We offer excellent school tour and group packages starting from €8p.p. and can include a light lunch, if required. Here’s a map of the gardens to help you plan your trip.
4. Food Lovers: After a busy day rambling around the parklands, visitors can re-fuel at Buffers Garden Restaurant. Our new chef whips up a wonderful menu of culinary delights using delicious home-grown produce from our gardens – a must for food lovers! You can check out the full Buffers’ menu here.
5. Excursions & Days Away: From vintage car clubs to excursions for over 65’s, we can host them all. If your organisation is looking for a unique place to spend a day, then look no further!
6. Corporate / Team Building: Time for some new thinking? If you’re looking for an alternative to a boring boardroom for team training, then Oakfield Park is the answer. Get outdoors and be inspired by our glorious parklands.
7. A Pup’s Paradise: Oakfield Park is a dog lovers’ paradise (naturally, all we ask is that owners clean up after their pet pooches, so the parklands remain pristine for everyone to enjoy).
8. Garden Buffs: Garden lovers are in for a real treat! Enjoy a private tour of the gardens and learn all about our flora and fauna.
9. Photographers: We welcome photographers from all over the world who are inspired by our parklands, sculptures and scenery. They spend hours searching for the perfect shot, from the lake, to the Castle Folly, the Tree Circle with the “Orb” and the “Long Sleeper” sculpture on the Spiral Mound. We also have our very own photography competition. To enter, visit the park between Wednesday and Sunday, each month that we’re open. Explore, take photographs and email your best shots to firstname.lastname@example.org. Every month, the winning photographer will receive a Family Pass with the overall annual winner receiving an Annual Pass for 2019. Good luck!
10. Birthday Parties: Children love celebrating their birthday parties at Oakfield Park. A trip on our Thomas Train with all their friends is the highlight of their day and creates memories that will stay with them forever. Other special events to look out for during the summer include our Teddy Bear’s Picnic. Email us at email@example.com to book your special day.
11. Wedding Photography: Your wedding pictures will last a lifetime and Oakfield Park is an idyllic setting. If you’re looking for somewhere to set you apart from the rest, contact us today to find out more. (Pic credit: Pure Purple)
12. Private Celebrations: Buffers Garden Restaurant is the perfect place to mark your family milestones and celebrations; from private parties, to confirmations, communions, christenings, family gatherings and all of your special days. Menus can be adapted to suit your occasion. Call us today on +353 (0) 74 9173068.